“Now—each of you, to some degree or another here, believe that the universe is not safe, and therefore you must set up your defenses against it,’ Seth said that summer evening.
“Now, the one-line, official consciousness with which you are familiar, says: ‘The world is not safe. I cannot trust it. Nor can I trust the condition of experience, or the condition of my own existence; nor can I trust myself. …
“You have an entire civilization and world set up about those beliefs I have just given you: that the universe is not safe; that you must defend yourselves from enemies that come from without, and worst of all, from enemies that are within.
“And so indeed do you feel uneasy, and set up your barriers, and run as fast as you can, in whatever way given you, from those enemies that are the result of a one-line official kind of consciousness.
“As long as you believe that you dwell in a universe that is a threat, you must defend yourself against it. As long as you believe that the self is flawed, and that your race is damned and evil, you must also defend yourself against yourself, and how can you then trust the voice of the psyche? …
“You try to say, ‘The universe is safe,’ and then you watch the news on television, or you read your newspaper and you say, ‘What lie is this? How can the universe be safe when I read about wholesale murder, and war, and trickery and greed? …
“The one-line stage of consciousness was necessary for reason that Ruburt has given [in Psychic Politics and Adventures in Consciousness]. But that stage contained within it its own impetus. It set up challenges that could not be solved at that stage of consciousness, and that would automatically lead you into other strands of awareness. Only then can those contradictions make sense.
“Only then can you say, individually—and listen, now—‘I LIVE IN A SAFE UNIVERSE.’”
Conversations With Seth, Vol. 2, Chapter 12
- Conversations with Seth, Book 1: 25th Anniversary Edition
- Conversations with Seth, Book 2: 25th Anniversary Edition (v. 2)
- The Early Sessions: Book 1 of The Seth Material (Seth, Seth Book.)
- A Seth Book: The Personal Sessions, Book 1 of the Deleted Seth Material (A Seth Book)
- A Seth Book the Personal Sessions Book Two of the Deleted Seth Material
- Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul
- The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know (Jane Roberts)
- The Nature of the Psyche: Its Human Expression (A Seth Book)
- The “Unknown” Reality, Vol. 1: A Seth Book
- The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events: A Seth Book (Roberts, Jane)